
The federal government has announced it is investing about $12
million in British Columbia's forestry sector, days after other
tariff-hit Canadian industries were offered $1.5 billion in
support.
Energy Minister Tim Hodgson made the announcement at Terminal
Forest Products, a sawmill in Richmond, B.C., on Thursday.
Hodgson said the funding will prioritize 14 projects that use
low-carbon wood technology, expand the use of mass timber in
construction, or are Indigenous operated.
He said the investment is part of Canada's strategy to diversify
its wood production and become less reliant on the United States
amid its "unjust" tariffs.
"What we've been doing is working with the industry, working
with provinces, working with Indigenous communities on a
transformation," Hodgson said, adding the goal is to become less
reliant on commodity products.
British Columbia Premier David Eby was critical of the federal
government after last week's tariff relief omitted the lumber
industry, which has been combating U.S. duties and fees for
decades.
Eby said he was concerned that it was prioritizing other sectors
of the economy over B.C.'s forest sector.
Asked about the size of the funding in light of the $1.5-billion
commitment to sectors including steel, aluminum and copper last
week, Hodgson said his government has previously committed $2.5
billion in support for the forestry sector.
Commitments include $500 million each for programs that supply
softwood lumber loan guarantees and tariff loans for firms
facing liquidity shortfalls.
The government earmarked another $500 million for forest sector
funding programs that prioritize wood-based building products
and Indigenous-led projects, among other initiatives.
Hodgson said the government is working "constructively" with the
province.
B.C.'s Forests Minister Ravi Parmar said in a statement Thursday
that the province wants to work with the federal government to
transform the forestry sector, but both parties need to do their
part.
"While the investments announced today are a step in the right
direction, we urge the federal government to bring the same
level of commitment to forestry as they have shown to other
sectors," he said.
A spokesperson for federal Conservative Leader Pierre
Poilievre's office said the Liberal government has "abandoned"
plans to get a deal for forestry workers as Canadian industries
struggle under U.S. tariffs.
"After 11 years and four White House administrations, the
Liberals have failed to get a softwood lumber deal with the
Americans. The previous Conservative government negotiated a
deal within its first 80 days," spokesperson Sam Lilly said in
an email Thursday.
Source:
mfat.govt.nz